Bettina D. Hindin
Bettina D. Hindin is an accomplished and experienced matrimonial litigator, recognized for her skill and expertise in the investigation and analysis of the complex financial issues that arise in matrimonial and domestic relations matters. She is an acknowledged expert in the field and has appeared often as a commentator on these issues for MSNBC and CNN.
Ms. Hindin is one of the leaders of a new generation and breed of matrimonial lawyers who have learned from the best and whose experience in handling diverse transactional matters in all areas of domestic relations, LGBT law and
, including divorce, separation, annulment, maintenance, child support, support modification, custody, visitation, relocation, paternity, equitable distribution, and asset valuation is unparalleled.
Ms. Hindin has successfully tried a myriad of matrimonial,
and support cases before the Family Courts and the Supreme Courts of the State of New York, and argued appeals in the appellate courts of the state. Ms. Hindin provides clients with all of the requisite elements of matrimonial
on the most sophisticated level. A forceful litigator, she is particularly attuned to the interplay of litigation
techniques required to produce optimal results.
Ms. Hindin is a member of the New York State
Section, and is an appointee to that Section’s Executive Committee. In addition, Ms. Hindin is also a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, where she has twice been appointed to, and served on the Committee on Matrimonial Law. Ms. Hindin has also been appointed on numerous occasions as a Law Guardian in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, New York County.
Ms. Hindin is registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Attorney Network to counsel on matters involving The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction. The Convention is an International Treaty that provides a procedure for the prompt return of children who have been "wrongfully removed" or "retained outside" their country of "habitual residence." And last, but not least, annually, the Metro Edition of
Super Lawyers® lists Ms. Hindin as a top
in the areas of Matrimonial and Family Law.
Law & Politics, publishers of the list, conducts an exhaustive process with peer nominations and evaluations, combined with third-party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Parental Rights
- Custody and Support
- Marriage, Cohabitation, Divorce
- Domestic Partnerships
- Civil Unions
- Estate/Inheritance /Succession
- "High Net Worth Divorce," book to be published by American Lawyer Media in 2013.
- "Strategies for Family Law in New York, 2013, Inside the Minds, to be published by Aspatore Books, Thomas Reuters Business
- "Divorce Economics In Difficult Financial Times," New York Law Journal, August 9, 2010
- "Protecting Same-Sex Clients And Their Families," New York Law Journal, June 6, 2005
- "A Different Kind of Divorce," New York Law Journal's New Partners Section, February 7, 2005
- "Redefining the Meanings of Family, Parenthood in Same-Sex Relationships," New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, June 7, 2004
- "Avoiding the Witness Crash-and-Burn Syndrome," New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, July 14, 2003
- "Finally on the Right Track," New York Law Journal Magazine, Vol. 2, No.1, February 2003
- "Need for Experts in Divorce Intensifies," New York Law Journal's Litigation Section, October 15, 2002
- "Time to Effectively Penalize Failure to Disclose Assets," New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, July 15, 2002
- "New York Marriage Bill Paves the Way for Same-Sex Divorce," New York, Reuters, June 24, 2011.
- ""After Same-Sex Marriage, Same-Sex Divorce," The New York Times, City Room, June 27, 2011.
- "The Best Prenuptial Stories: Showbiz Tonight" on CNN with Brooke Anderson
- "The Mills/McCartney Divorce Battle" on MSNBC
- "On the Air With Alex Metz," Syndicated Radio Show, guest speaker on prenuptial agreements
- "Today Show," WNBC, Inter-Faith Marriage, guest
- "Cliff and Company," KSON Radio, frequent guest speaker on "Britney Spears Loses Custody," and high profile matrimonial cases.
- "MSNBC Radio," frequent guest commentator on high profile matrimonial cases.
- E! NEWS, frequent commentator on high profile matrimonial cases.
- E! NEWS, "Has Katie Holmes Spent Enough Time In New York To Get A Divorce There?"
- E! NEWS, "Tom Cruise And Katie Holmes' Quickie Divorce: What Does It Mean?"
- Panelist/Guest Speaker, LGBTQ Law 2009 Law Conference, "From Stonewall to Stonewalled," Marriage vs. Co-Habitation., Panelist/Guest Speaker.
- Guest Speaker: "Protecting Your Rights In A Same-Sex Relationship," Guest Speaker, Out@TimeInc., Time Magazine, 2008.
- Speaker/Panelist, "Beyond Ozzie and Harriet: Representing Non-Traditional Couples in the Paterson Era," Marriage, Cohabitation and Divorce, Speaker/Panelist, New York Law School, November, 2008.
Selected Reported Cases
- Kaplan v. Kaplan, 51 A.D.3d 635, 857 N.Y.S.2d 677 (2d Dept. 2008)
- Levine v. Levine, 37 A.D.2d 550, 830 N.Y.S.2d 252 (2d Dept. 2007)
- K.T. v. Dash, 37 A.D.2d 107, 827 N.Y.S.2d 112 (1st Dept. 2006)
- Elizabeth T.L. v. Jeffrey C.L., 24 A.D. 3d 270, 8080 N.Y.S.2d 180 (1st Dept. 2005)
- In the Matter of C.M., 6 Misc.3d 361, 789 N.Y.S.2d 393 (Sup.Ct., N.Y.Co. 2004)
- Bartek v. Draper, 309 A.D.2d 825, 765 N.Y.S.2d 893 (2d Dept. 2003)
- Jackson v. Jackson, 306 A.D.2d 182, 763 N.Y.S.2d 545 (1st Dept. 2003)
- Greenfield v. Greenfield, 270 A.D.2d 57, 704 N.Y.S.2d 55 (1st Dept. 2000)
- Markard v. Markard, 206 A.D.2d 512, 615 N.Y.S.2d 280 (2d Dept. 1994)
- Spiegel v. Quality Bakers of America Cooperative, Inc., 1992 WL 349799 (S.D.N.Y. 1992).
- Certified Law Guardian, Appellate Division, First Department (2002 -Present)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1987-2007)
- Member, Committee on Family Courts and Family (2003 – 2007)
- Member, Committee on State Legislation (1995-1997)
- Member, Committee on Matrimonial Law (1992-1995)
- Member, Committee on Matrimonial Law (Secretary, 1987-1988)
- Member, Committee on Municipal Affairs (Secretary, 1989-1992)
- Member, New York State Bar Association (1986-Present)
- Member, Family Law Section, Executive Committee (2004-2008)
- Member, LeGal (2009-Present)
- Member Lambda Legal Defense Fund, Cooperating Attorney Network (2009-Present)
- U.S. Department Attorney Network, Registered Counsel, The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction. (2010-Present)
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Special Committee on LGBT People and the Law (2014 - )
- New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1989
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D. (1982-1985)
- Hofstra University, B.A. (1978-1982)
- Ellenbogen & Goldstein (1985-1988), Associate
- Bangser Klein Rocca & Blum, LLP (1988-1992), Associate; (1992-1996), Partner
- Moses & Singer, LLP (1997-2002), Partner
- Slade & Newman, LLP (2002-2005), Partner
- Raoul Felder and Partners, P.C., (2005-2015), Partner
- Hindin Deutsch P.C. (2015 - to date), Founding Partner
View the firm's profile at FindaFamilyAttorney.com.