Relocation After Divorce in New York

About Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgender Divorces

When you need to move to another city or state in the period following your divorce, the matter can be made far more complex if you have child custody. The non-custodial parent can contest the relocation, and unless you secure the approval of the court, you may have to choose between staying where you are and relinquishing custody to the other parent. Hindin Deutsch, P.C. can help you through this life-changing situation. Attorney Hindin has earned the Super Lawyer rating, and with over 40 years of combined experience, our firm can provide you with the aggressive and dynamic legal representation you deserve. Having a premiere New York City divorce attorney on your side can make a substantial difference in the outcome of the situation.

The custody and visitation plan shared by you and your former spouse is not merely an agreement, it is an official order from the judge, and it carries the force of law. Before you can relocate with your children, you will have to petition the judge for a modification of court orders, providing clear and compelling evidence of why the move is necessary. Whether you are relocating for employment, to be closer to family, or if you merely want to make a new start, you must persuade the judge that the move will be in the best interests of the children, and that it is not merely an effort to deny the other parent's right to see them.

Relocating with Children after New York City Divorce

If the custodial parent has threatened to move away with your children, we can help you with enforcement of court orders to prevent the action. By demonstrating that the children would be better off staying where they have grown up, with their school, friends and extended family, you may be able to keep them close to home, or even have custody awarded to you. Challenging a proposed move away can be especially important in the context of same-sex family law, as another state may not recognize your visitation or custody rights if same-sex marriage is not yet legal there.

Contact Hindin Deutsch, P.C. Today

We Can Help You Successfully Navigate Through The Complexities Of The Legal System

Send My Information